magic and meyhem!

To Tame A Wild Heart  - Gwen Mitchell
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian, I was gifted my copy of this book. Audrey escapes from the asylum holding her and lands right into another kind of jail. Faced with getting free and losing her powers, or staying in the coven to learn all about her powers and the Zyne, Audrey decides to bide her time, learn what she can, get fit and healthy and THEN excape and go back for the child she needs to save. Corvin's mother is head of this coven. He tends to the birds and is happy, for the most part. Being given a novice to train, or losing his precious birds is a bit of a no brainer, but Audrey is almost as broken as eagle currently under his care. He's gonna need to tend this wild one very carefully. The overwhelming feeling I have for this book is this: Harry Potter for grown ups! I found myself comparing, at many points along the way, details that while not EXACTLY from the Harry Potter books, they have obviously been INSPIRED by them. BUT!!! This is not a bad thing, Its just what I need to say, and its all about saying what you thought of a book, and this is what I thought! Getting over that, though and I really REALLY loved it! Audrey is a free spirit who knew she could do things others couldn't but didn't know why. Corvin is a bit of a recluse and thinks more of his animals than anyone else. An odd pair, but since Corvin's mother is an Oracle, I'm sure she saw this coming. I loved Audrey's fight or flight response to most things, but having got this far alive, its to be expected. She does tame it a little as the book progresses but it never fully goes away. Once Corvin is made to see the error of how he'd been treating Audrey in his care (oh, not badly, not at all, just enough) he begins to see the real Audrey, the one who he falls in love with. There is much going on, and not all is sorted. That Huhlwen (I think that's how it was spelt!) has a hidden agenda, getting Audrey to tie to him. Corvin won't be happy when he finds out. I'm assuming that there are other sorcerers out there, and enslaved witches. Just deadly enough and sexy enough, with all the major players having a say, and you know how happy that makes me feel! Oh, and special mention to the side kick crow, who really should have had a say, cos his antics did make me chuckle! This is billed as book one, and I can't wait to read the next one! First I've read of this author too. 4 solid stars **same worded review will appear elsewhere**