rather enjoyed this!

Rain (A Stranger in the Woods, #1) - India R. Adams
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian, I was gifted my copy of this book. Those of you who follow my reviews will have picked up my teeny tiny dislike of first person AND present tense AND multi point of view. That is the worst way, for me, for a book to be written. I make no bones about my dislike, and I WILL NOT apologise for dumping a book once I discover a book is written such a way. I KNEW this book was first person/present tense going in. It came highly recommended by someone whose opinion I hold in high regard. I did not know it was multi person as well. HOWEVER!! I rather enjoyed this!! It takes time for things to become clear, and being kept on my toes is always good. That waiting for it all to come together is what kept me reading. Because I did finish this, and I DO want to read book two, River, when it comes out. Rose meets the stranger in the woods, who saves her life. Gunner is her best friend. But Gunner is more like Ryder, the stranger, than he knows. When danger comes for Rose, both males have to pull it together and keep her, and others, safe. I don't usually care for younger main characters, but Rose has a wise head on her turning 20 in the book shoulders. Dealing with her father's death and her mother's illness, and that of the others in town, takes a toll on a teenager. Ryder and Gunner, once they realise what's at stake, are great together. Ryder for all his proper-ness and Gunner for all his human-ness. Without giving too much away, I did like this, really I did. I didn't LOVE it though, but I am still left wanting to read book two when it comes out later in the year. Because there is much unfinished, undone, and now.....that....has happened, things will come to a head soon. Oh, and Ms Adams?? You made me cry. When Rose says 'I'm gonna be a mama, and I need my mama' or words to that effect. Bawled my bloody eyes out, thank you very much!! Because, no matter how old you are, you always need your mama, more so, when she isn't here any more. I didn't like the Vikes dialogue. I had to sound out loud every word that wasn't immediately obvious. I looked silly on the bus! So, a solid... 4 stars **same worded review will appear elsewhere**