not quite as good as Gabriel or A Deadly Sin

Harlot - Tracie Podger
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian, I was gifted my copy of this book. This book, Harlot, is written to be read alongside Gabriel, and A Deadly Sin. You don't NEED to have read those books to follow this one, though, as this is a standalone. Those two books were stunning, mind blowing 5 star reads. This one?? Not so much. Oh don't get me wrong, its still a bloody good read, it just doesn't have that.....that......SOMETHING that the other two books have and I cannot figure out why and ya'll know how that stresses me so! Its told only from Charlotte's point view, in keeping with Gabriel. Maybe it was this, or maybe it was Charlotte herself, at 19, that didn't work for me, I don't know what it is it that's missing! Charlotte is thrown into a life of prostitution by her cousin who is appointed guardian when her gran dies. Said guardian walks with some very unsavoury characters who are part of the cult that Gabriel and Mich are fighting, although the cult seems to be evolving, rapidly away for the Divine Child theory and into all the things available to underworld bosses: drugs, prostitution, trafficking and the like. Someone she liked was killed, and he turns out to be quite the opposite of his public image. There is a huge supporting cast who take Charlotte in when she runs, and that melds seamlessly into Gabriel and Mich's tales. I loved those ladies! Loved how they each had their own tale to tell, but they don't tell it, just hint at it, and you have to fill the gaps yourself. Lord only knows what they have all suffered at the hands of the cult and its leaders. Beau helps Charlotte too, even though she looks so much like his lost love. Charlotte has, as much as she can, a happy ending, but her life will never be all hearts and flowers. I wonder though, will Beau ever be happy? Like, really and truly happy? Will he have a book all to himself?? That would be awesome! I needed to get into his head here, and I didn't. I've no idea where Ms Podger is taking this group of books, because they aren't really a series, I really don't but I so need to follow them! Maybe it's because Gabriel and A Deadly Sin blew me away so much, and I'm reading this so close after them, I don't know *insert wailing sound for trying to figure out why I didn't love it!* A solid four star read **same worded review will appear elsewhere**