painful but brilliant!

There's This Guy - Rhys Ford
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian, I was gifted my copy of this book. Jumping straight in, just as the book does. Not writing a blurby bit, because I simply can't. Chapter one. Page one. And I'm crying. I'm thinking that this is gonna be a much darker read for me than of late and I was not disappointed! Ford pulls you, kicking and screaming into Jake's world and you FEEL it, right here, *touches chest, repeatedly* right there, you FEEL for Jake, you really do. And when it is all laid out for you, oh God, more tears!! Come to think of it, I spent much of this book in tears!! But trust me, there are happy ones at the end! Because Dallas does love Jake, right from that meeting of eyes across the street. He knows that Jake needs gentle handling, needs time to process everything. And Dallas will take Jake, as his friend, if that's what Jake needs. Jake doesn't, to be fair, know exactly what he needs but he KNOWS he needs Dallas in his life. And Celeste. Oh she is funny. But she had Jake's number way before Dallas did. And she made Dallas see. not as explicit as some of Ford's books, but that's not what this book is about. Its about seeing that, actually, you are a NOT bad person, and you really do deserve someone to love you. I love Rhys Ford's work, you know I do. I fell in love with The Sinners Gin guys, and for a very long time, they were my favourites. But this book?? Way WAY surpasses those books. I can't express, not properly, how this book affected me today. I read it in one sitting. The cat was pleased I did not more for better part of the morning. I could not find a way to stop reading. I needed to know that Jake and Dallas have their happy ending. Cannot give it anything other than... 5 full and painful, but brilliant stars ** same worded review will appear elsewhere**