a proper throw your kindle at the wall ending!

Conquest: Kai's Story - Kaden Shay
Independent reviewer for Divine Magazine, I was gifted my copy of this book.

Picture the scene, if you will. There you are, merrily reading this book. It's okay, you are going to finish it but it's just ticking over as okay and a three star read. Then it starts to get good, just past half way. And it gets better and better, star rating creeping up and up and then??

THEN!?!?!?!?! Then you run out of bloody book!!!

I mean, it's a proper throw-your-kindle-at-the-wall, spit-your-dummy-out, stamp-your-feet and Chuck-your-toys-out-the-pram kind of reaction I've not had for some time!!!

After an apocalyptic event wiped much of humanity off the face of the planet, those left are one of two races. The Purists, humans who managed to survive the radiation and related illnesses. And the Regens, those humans evolved, and regenerate and have enhanced speed, strength and a longer life span. They live in a constant battle against each other.

Kai, otherwise known as General Conquest, is one of the four leaders of the clans of Regens. War, Famine and Death make up with other three. Kai's group capture several groups of Purists and Hayley is one of them. Kai discovers just what the leader of the Purists has been preaching and just what he has been doing. Hayley is a huge part of that knowledge.

I liked this, a lot, once it got past about half way. It's different, and a way off my beaten track with its post apocalyptic theme, but I really did enjoy it. It's relatively clean and free of any kind of graphic violence. Indeed, Kai is a gracious jailer, which is not what the Purists have been led to believe.

Apart from that ending, I have just one other point to make. Only Kai has her say. I always say I want more, I know I do, but with what Hayley was planning, what happened after and the fact that .... well her and Kai's story is not yet finished, let's just say that. But I needed Hayley as well as Kai.

I do hope I get the chance to read future books in this series. I can't wait to see what happens!

So, because we only get Kai, and because I threw a proper hissy fit at work. ...

4.5 stars **same worded review will appear elsewhere**