It all begins here!

Crushed (Seven Forbidden Arts) - Charmaine Pauls
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian I Dig Good Books, I received this book direct from the author in exchange for my review.
This is the prequel to Pyromancist, an introduction if you will, to the group that Josselin works for. On the run after her family was slaughtered, Lily is rescued by Jacob. But its not so much as a rescue, as a means to an end, the end being Lily's father's capture. Chased across Africa and Europe, together they find themselves in danger at every turn. But not every danger is clear, and Lily learns the hard way what Jacob is trying to tell her: not to trust anyone!
I've filed this on the paranormal shelf, but there isnt very much paranormal content, it talks about the seven forbidden arts, fire, water, air, earth, human, animal and spirit, and we are introduced to Josselin and his team, but thats all. I put it there to carry on for Pyromancist, and next up, Aeromancist. I have that to read too.
I loved this as much as Pyromancist, even with the paranormal element. Why?? no idea, but I did. You get a little introduction inot Lucien, the pyromancist in that book, and to Lily's rather lovely father and step brother. They don't appear in in the main book, though, just Lucien.
Deadlier, sexier, and more action, makes for a book that I read in one fell swoop, and could not put it down. I thank Ms Pauls for giving me this book to read. It can be read as a standalone, or after the first main book, it won't alter your reading enjoyment.
5 stars **same worded review appears on Goodreads, and**