so far out my comfort zone, but thoroughly enjoyed this!

Terror Lies Underground (The Diogenes Cases Book 1) - Greg Jameson
Independent reviewer for Divine Magazine, I was gifted my copy of this book.
Sometimes, you need to step very far out of your comfort zone. Sometimes, you need to read a book that is very different from your usual fare. And sometimes, just sometimes, that step out with a very different book is a very VERY good thing.
I really enjoyed this!!
Set around Victorian London, Jacob sees first a head in a glass jar, then his dead father, who he had (literally) just buried. He then finds himself dismissed from his job as doctor, and in the employ of one Mr Mycroft Holmes, who works out of the Diogenes Club. Jacob is catapulted into a chase around London to save the Empire.
It's well written, from most of the major players point of view, and you all know how happy that makes me feel. It moves at speed in places, and slower in others, but just enough slow spots for you to catch up from for speedier ones. It has some twists and turns I did see coming, and some I did not. I love being kept on my toes!
I loved, absolutely LOVED that Mycroft and not Sherlock plays the bigger part here. I will be honest, I didn't even know there was another brother(let alone two!) until I watched something on the television, a while ago. So to find a book with Mycroft and not Sherlock was brilliant. I loved the little digs to Sherlock and to the characters in his books.
It is clean, but carries a drug addiction story line right the way through. It is described in some detail too. Some other, rather gruesome scenes, that made me cringe, rather than any real violence.
I'd like to read more by this author, whether its about Mycroft Holmes and the Diogenes Club, or something else, I don't mind.
Like I said, way out of my comfort zone, but an absolutely great read.
4 solid stars